Thursday, May 10, 2007

death becomes her

I'll be the first to say it: this blog has been disappointing lately. Between the throw-away links to funny science articles, the admittedly lame regular installment idea, and the fact that I'm clearly investing more thought and effort into post titles than the posts themselves (some people procrastinate with youtube; erc puns), the thought-provoking posts in erc are growing few and far between.

In many ways, the Tristram Shandy comparison is inevitable. Like Laurence Sterne, erc promised to tell the story of elm rock city and digressed immediately; the "New Haven" gimmick has served as skeletal structure upon which I've hung my fully-fleshed opinions and ruminations. Like the novel, it's hard to tell where the narrator ends and the blog begins (this is what happens, naturally, when one uses the same acronymic moniker to refer to both herself and her body of work). Also like Tristram Shandy, erc was conceived with a morbid awareness of its own impending demise. In 20 days, I shall graduate, move to New York to begin my new job, and leave this fine city forever.

All great things, readers, must come to an end.

While the utter abandonment of erc isn't set in stone (as some have suggested, a simple name change might be in order), consider this as a turning point--a wake up call of sorts, like the beginning of the last trio of volumes in Sterne's book, when Tristram, confronted with his corporeal frailty and impending demise, flees through Europe. Time is precious, too precious to be wasted with links to funny animal stories (the title of that last one is a gem) and posts on topics appropriated from my studies. I fully intend to spend my final days at Yale squirreled away in my room with the shades drawn, blogging about new material like there's no tomorrow.

That said, time to finish reviewing Tristram Shandy for my last final exam.

5 comments:

Rich said...

more Tristram Shandy content. did you see the movie adaptation with Steve Coogan last year? it was very fun and clever (http://imdb.com/title/tt0423409/), although i never read the book...

Anonymous said...

new york kimes new york kimes new york kimes

Notwithabang... said...

L..d!, what is all this blog about?--

A Cock and a Bull, --And one of the best of its kind, I ever read.

Say it ain't so, Erc, say it ain't so...


...then again, any interest in writing a treatise on fortifications for YS?

Herman Furry Paws said...

I had one of those finals too last year, but I just told my prof to imagine an essay as like his mistress and as unlike his wife as possible and then just left a big-ass space with some ellipses. i don't know if that will fly at Yale.

Dash said...

I don't know that I'd abandon the name "Elm Rock City." It has a certain eloquence about it. It's probably far better just to turn your blog into a catachresis.

But before you depart Sperling Memorial Library for good, might I recommend Haraway's "A Cyborg Manifest"? I prefer not to claim that it is extremely important, but I am rather interested in your take. I think you may have previously mentioned a different essay in her Simian book. Or, for fun, Riffaterre's Semiotics of Poetry. After that, feel free to abandon the world of internet scholarship for the high fashion of print journalism.