Saturday, April 07, 2007

interesting ethical dilemma

After my Italian class on Friday morning, I stopped by Durfee's Convenience Shoppe, hoping to supplement the sparse contents of my pantry--gum, diet coke, oatmeal--with some of the other comestibles I masticate on a regular basis --cheese, cereal, wheat-thins. They say grocery lists are revealing of people's personalities and lifestyles (cue stereotypical images of single, depressed women hunched over pints of Haagen-Daz). Mine only betrays my lazy reluctance to purchase food that needs to be prepared or cooked.

Anyways, I walked into Le Shoppe, and the lights were turned off. The doors (there are two entrances--one on Old Campus and one on Elm Street) were both mysteriously open, but no one was manning the register, save a hastily written sign with "GOOD FRIDAY--CLOSED" scrawled on it. As I walked around looking for an employee to ring up my selections, other students began entering Durfee's. Eventually, there were about eight of us milling around the aisles, giving each other quizzical stares.

Moments like this--social situations that deviate from normalcy, like an excessively long line at the DMV or a black-out at work--can stimulate three different responses: genial bonding between strangers, awkward hostility/suspicion, or intellectual collaboration. At Yale, a breeding ground for sociopathic geniuses and toolish morons, one generally expects some sort of mixture of the latter two effects.

A hypothetical for my readers: It's noon, you're hungry, and you're in an empty retail shoppe that's fully stocked with delicious wheat-thins and tantalizingly mild cracker barrel cheese. The other patrons are discussing whether or not the security cameras are on, and, let's face it, you're suddenly thinking like a kid who just won the Nickelodeon Super Toy Run sweepstakes--does one go straight to the expensive organic aisle? shoot for bulkier items?--as you listen to your peers. WHAT WOULD SHELLY KAGAN DO?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have put everything I wanted in a basket and put it on the check-out counter and written a note that said

"For reference, this is what I would have taken had it not been for my social conscience. For me it was almost a really Good Friday - and for you, a not-so-Good Friday. Lock your door."

Mr.Wrongway said...

i would have taken lots of shit. and definetly bonded with my fellow store-goers. mostly taken lots of shit.

Dragonrider of Pern said...

Wait, it's actually shopPE?

elmrockcity said...

YES.

http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=1262

the actual rod said...

i'm with mr w, and would only like to add that shelly kagan is a monkey.

Beneficent Allah said...

It was December. I was faded like whoa, it was like 11 o'clock and I was eating mad sour straws straight from the bin. The fat black woman who worked the register was taking a walk around the store - I was so faded I wasn't keeping a lookout - and she sees me right as I see her. I was like a deer in headlights, I was so scared, and after the jeans incident I was on a tight leash. She goes, "o bless yo heart.. It's Christmas! Eat what you want, child."

It made me feel warm and fuzzy.

(It also made me feel bad that I was in the habit of stealing approx. $15 a day of Power-C 32 oz and Odwalla Green Machines...)

Vimax penis extension device said...

genial bonding between strangers, awkward hostility/suspicion, or intellectual collaboration.

Buy sperm pills said...

Well it depend on different perspective in which we are seeing it.

Best Gynecomastia treatment said...

Philosophers have different concepts from each other. But may be everybody will be agreed with this idea that this is not the way to be a mankind.

Sexual enhancement gel review said...

The fat black woman who worked the register was taking a walk around the store ...liked it...:)

Instant Performer sexual enhancement oil said...

Every philosophy is different for every person.The hypothetical of the readers is just easily understandable.

Maxocum increase low sperm count pills said...

Nicely wrote . I appreciate it . It's my honor to read your blog .

VigRXPlus increase penis size pills said...

They say grocery lists are revealing of people's personalities and lifestyles (cue stereotypical images of single, depressed women hunched over pints of Haagen-Daz)...

How to increase penis size said...

They say grocery lists are revealing of people's personalities and lifestyles (cue stereotypical images of single, depressed women hunched over pints of Haagen-Daz).

Best Washing Machine 2012 said...

Your story is like a scene from a movie. But is bad for you to eat so many candies

M190va-Review said...

Many many thanks for sharing this information with us. I want to congratulate you because you are doing a great job here.

Vigaplus erectile dysfunction medicine said...

definetly bonded with my fellow store-goers. mostly taken lots of shit.

As seen on TV said...

I never thought that these blogs could be so informative. I appreaciate what you are doing here for us man.