Wednesday, March 21, 2007

paradise lost

If my life was a romantic comedy (ha!), then these few days would constitute one of those scenes where the "city-gal" heroine, clad in all black and chain-smoking like a fiend (pictured: a strung-out Demi Moore as a depressed writer in Now and Then) returns to the home of her youth.

For erc, however, this home has already been stripped of sentimental value, as my parents essentially THREW MY CHILDHOOD AWAY when they discarded and donated half of our family's "clutter" before moving to Korea. Gone forever: at least half of my Berenstain Bears book collection, a box of unusual-looking rocks that I saved, a letter I wrote to myself when I was 11, the words "Read at age 18!" scrawled across the seal in childish script (to be fair, I opened it when I was 13). The few items of memorabilia that remain, scattered around their big, vacuous new home like stale bread crumbs, are those that have been deemed worth saving by my parents.

Their judgment bewilders me.

7 comments:

Enia said...

when my family moved from russia, my parents separated my books into "important" ones and "not important" ones. Even though i liked the latter half better, they donated them all to the book store and insisted i bring the boring pile. parents!

Lindsay said...

If it makes you feel any better, I just saved a bundle by switching to GEICO.

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

But seriously, when I moved back from Japan to the US, our belongings got put into a storage bin. My dad recently revealed to tell me that the storage shipment had been "lost", meaning there's no real record of my existence til 1994 -- the family kimonos and hand-me-down silver, also gone. Perhaps this is a good thing considering my drug peddling elementary school days, but tragic in my book.

elmrockcity said...

Your important/not important story just caused me panic at the thought of doing the same with my books...

Lindsay, this confirms my long-held suspicion that you were a female child who was raised as a boy. Then grew up to be 6'5.

H. F. Paws said...

This same thing happened to me over winter break but my mom totally flipped the game, which was both tragic and pretty impressive. Went on a roadtrip and came home and found all my old clothes/toys/ad-libs donated to Salv. Army. Had some laughs, whatever, kicked back a beer. Then realized that mom had also put the kibosh on all the clothes I brought home from school... by "accident." My moms is the evilest/smoothest.

Enia said...

wait til you're sorting your college papers in a post-graduation haze and accidentally put your passport and social security into the trash heap. and there is no parent to blame in sight.