Sunday, January 07, 2007

pool partay

This afternoon, I swam laps for the first time in over five years. Actually, it was the first time in as long that I have waded into a swimming pool beyond chest level; putting my head underwater felt wonderful, but I was too afraid to open my eyes. Swimming in a bikini is difficult.

Since I've been out of the pool-loop (see what I did there?) for so long, I experimented with all of the ways I used to swim: the backstroke, the freestyle crawl, the breast stroke, the side stroke. I must have looked like a blind, mentally disabled puppy that had been thrown into the water. The only other people in the entire complex were a Japanese mother and her six year old son, who was wearing tight blue leggings and had a matching flotation device strapped to his back. We raced across the shallow end, and I won handily.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I really enjoy your victorious face-offs with children. Sort of reminds me of this.

elmrockcity said...

It's experiences like this that confirm my expectations of being a good mother.

Matt said...

dont you ever say anything bad about my dog again

Rich said...

being an "adult" and being better than kids at sports has always been funny to me. you don't know how many times i've stopped myself from beating some 13-year-olds in basketball...

this is a classic onion article in a similar vein: http://www.onion.demon.co.uk/theonion/other/babies/stupidbabies.htm