Sunday, November 19, 2006

sunday morning "musings"

Being home is wonderful; there's coffee whenever I want it, a bathroom that's not molding, and the pitter-pattering of my parents walking around, picking things up after me. While skimming the first draft of my senior essay this morning (after destroying the wapo crossword), I noticed that I used the word "ideology" eleven times. This is obviously problematic, and it reminded me of my 10th grade English teacher, who had a list of "dead words" that we were not supposed to use.

It's kind of like how most Yale professors hate the word hegemony. Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.

Here's my "dead word" graveyard:
1. Musings. Shut up.
2. "Hot," when used to describe anything other than a spicy burrito.
3. "Siiick," when used to describe anything other than me after eating a spicy burrito.
4. "Deconstruct;" Unless you're referring to ripped clothing or an absestos-soaked building, do NOT use this word in class unless you understand it, for the love of Derrida.
5. "Party" as a verb.
6. OH MY GOD; I CAN'T WRITE BECAUSE MY PARENTS COME IN EVERY FIVE SECONDS.

Stimulus for comments: Do people agree with me that any rap song that features a siren is instantly siiiiick?

6 comments:

Richard said...

I like sirens in rap songs because of the realism they provide (rappers get in a lot of trouble with the law). I don't like sirens in rap songs because when I am listening to the songs in my car, I think the cops are getting ready to pull me over (this happens way more than you might think).

hannah said...

fuck, i definitely just used the wor "hot" in an e-mail to you...actually, to be techincal, it was "hotness." does that count?

elmrockcity said...

haha I totally thought that it was because you had read this...

I say it's all about the antecedent term...as in, using any slang to refer to a rare, perverse translation of the Ayatollah's writings is instantly legit...

yayce said...

rap songs with sirens make me wanna parrrrrty... sirens like the women and sirens like the police sirens; having both is even better -- see Beyonce's "Ring the Alarm" for further information)... epic

elmrockcity said...

Nikita, I'm going to link your blog; as of now, all of my links are to straight white males (gasp).

yayce said...

oh my god... you mean i'm NOT? well, this explains a lot...